2020 Events2020 Timeline of Remembrance Events
Lighting the Path: Together We Remember
We had plans for a ceremony and other special events to commemorate this day. And then, COVID-19 happened. Our plans have been adapted to create ways we can commemorate the day without compelling anyone to leave home or gather together.
Throughout the weekend, we encouraged the community to come together in remembrance through the following stay at home activities:
Available All Weekend
- Visit Lighting the Path: Together We Remember Tribute installations at Building 2 and Mount Trashmore Park
- Plant Forget Me Nots
- Download a finished version of our Forget-Me-Not flower design or get the therapeutic benefits from coloring and creating art by downloading one of the blank coloring sheets and place it somewhere visible for all to see.
Friday, May 29th
- Wear blue for remembrance
- Observe a moment of silence at 4:06
Sunday, May 31
- Mayor Bobby Dyer issued a proclamation that calls for the flag of the City of Virginia Beach to be flown at half-staff in all City buildings and on City grounds from May 29 through sunset on May 31, 2020 and that names Sunday, May 31, 2020 as Love For VB Day.
- Governor Ralph Northam recognized May 31, 2020 as Virginia Beach Remembrance Day and has ordered the flag of the Commonwealth of Virginia to be flown at half-staff over the state Capitol and all local, state, and federal buildings and grounds in respect and memory of the victims of the May 31 shooting at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center, their families, and the entire Virginia Beach community. The flag shall be lowered at sunrise on Sunday, May 31, 2020, and remain at half-staff until sunset
- Online remembrance ceremony released
- Leave your porch light on in remembrance